- Pray for wisdom and discernment. Hebrews 13:17 – These are the men who watch over our souls. They sometimes have to make hard decisions. Pray that they would draw upon the wisdom of the Lord.
- Pray that they will not grow weary in doing good. Galatians 6:9 – Our church leaders are called to give constantly. Pray that they will have the energy and the humility to keep serving.
- Pray for their encouragement. Hebrews 10:25 – These are the people that we look to for encouragement when times are hard. But do we encourage them?
- Pray for strong marriages. 1 Peter 5:8 – Satan does not like marriages and if he can destroy the marriages of our leaders he will. He is on the prowl to devour the leaders as they are the examples.
- Pray for their growth. Colossians 1:9-10 – They are constantly studying, serving, and giving. Pray that they would have time to sit and meditate on God’s Word and be impacted by the truth.
- Pray for purity. Titus 1:5-9 – Our leaders are held to a very high standard. They have a very specific list of qualifications that they need to adhere to. If they fall in one area, they will be disqualified. Let us lift them up in prayer that they will be pure and holy in all areas of their life.
- Pray for accurate handling of God’s Word. James 3:1 – Our leaders have the weighty responsibility of teaching God’s Word. They will be accountable to the Most High God someday for what they teach. It’s a big job.
- Pray that they would train up godly future leaders. 2 Timothy 2:2 – Men of God are becoming more rare in our culture. Pray that they would train up men who would humbly lead the church.
- Thank the Lord for them. They are a huge blessing to us and an evidence of the Lord’s grace. Thank the Lord for giving us wise and selfless men to lead our churches.
What would you add to this list?