Recently, I have been studying what women’s roles are in the home, in the family, and in the church. There are several New Testament passages that outline women’s roles. This is not a comprehensive list, but here are a few of the principles that we can draw from these passages. You may want to go through this list of questions and see how your life compares.
Titus 2:3-5 – My home and family
- Am I characterized by reverent (dignified) behavior?
- Am I a gossip?
- Do I encourage younger women to follow the Lord?
- Do I seek to love my husband?
- Do I seek to love my children?
- Am I sensible?
- Is my life pure?
- Is my home a priority?
- Am I kind?
- Am I submissive to my own husband?
- Do I bring honor to the Word of God?
1 Timothy 2:9-15 – My dress and faith
- Do I dress modestly and discreetly?
- Am I known for my good works or for the way I dress?
- Do I submit to the leadership of the church?
- Am I raising my children in godliness?
- Do I live in a way that displays my faith and godly self-control?
1 Corinthians 11:5-16 – My submission
- Do I dress in a way that distinguishes me as and is appropriate for a woman?
- Do I have an attitude of submission to my husband and to the authorities in the church?
1 Corinthians 14:34-35 – My relationship to the church
- Do I understand what my place is in the church?
- Am I submissive to God’s Word and to the church?
I don’t know about you, but this list is very convicting for me. This list outlines several areas that I know I need to work on. I hope that this list is a blessing for you. I pray that we will be reverent, submissive women who live in faith and raise children who will do the same!